The times we are in are unprecedented. For me it can be completely overwhelming at times, but the Junior League of Hampton Roads is here, and continues to be here for our community.
During the months of March, April, and May 2020 the Junior League of Hampton Roads donated funds to the following organizations:
- $1500 – The DeGood Foundation
- $1000 – LINK of Hampton Roads
- $1000 – Crusading Outreach Ministries
- $500 – Newport News Public Library Foundation
- $300 – Fear2Freedom
- $400 – Easter Baskets for children in York County foster care
- $250 – Virginia Living Museum
- $250 – Williamsburg House of Mercy
- $200 – Boys and Girl Club
- $200 – Downtown Hampton Childhood Development Center
- $200 – Queens Lake/Burton Food Pantry
Also, during this same time, the Junior League of Hampton Roads made and donated 40 masks to health care workers at Riverside Regional Hospital.
The Junior League of Hampton Roads also awarded two college scholarships to two very deserving young women. Again, during all the challenges of COVID-19.
Finally, during this same period, the Junior League of Hampton Roads conducted a virtual food drive and raised $2,500 (approx.) through cash and other donations to the Virginia Peninsula Foodbank.
So far 2020 has been more than difficult for so many, but what if there’s a reason. Below is a recent quote I came across regarding the current state of our world:
“What if 2020 isn’t cancelled?
What it 2020 is the year we’ve been waiting for?
A year so uncomfortable, so painful, so scary, so raw –
That it finally forces us to grow.
A year that screams so loud, finally awakening us
from our ignorant slumber.
A year we finally accept the need for change.
Declare change. Work for change. Become the change.
A year we finally band together, instead of
pushing each other further apart.
2020 isn’t cancelled, but rather the most important of them all”
Members of the Junior League and our community partners, if you need a minute, take it. If you need an hour, it’s yours. Take the time you personally need to heal and process what has happened in our world recently. If you need help, the Junior League is here.
When you’re ready, let’s get to work. Let’s have the tough conversations. Let’s make the difficult decisions. Let’s be catalysts for change.
This year the Junior League of Hampton Roads will continue to:
- Serve our community directly through community shifts.
- If you are an organization looking for volunteers to assist directly with a one day or ongoing project, please contact us here.
- Donate smaller donations to individuals or organizations in immediate need, throughout the year.
- If you have an immediate need for funds of less than $250, please contact us here.
- Provide grants to deserving organizations in May of 2021.
- If you would like information once our grant application is available, please contact us here.
- Provide scholarships to deserving high school senior women in our community in May of 2021.
- If you would like information once our scholarship application is available, please contact us here.
- Most importantly, train and empower women leaders.
- If you would like more information on becoming a member, please contact us here.
Thank you to the Hampton Roads community for your continued collaboration with our organization. Thank you to our sponsors and donors for your continued support. Thank you to the amazing women of the Junior League of Hampton Roads for allowing me to serve you.
As your President this year my main goals are to continue to build an organization that:
- Serves first
- Listens to understand
- Adds value to others
- Demonstrates courage
I am looking forward to having the opportunity to grow these servant leadership behaviors within myself as well as others in the League.
Here’s to the 2020-2021 league year! The year that it most definitely NOT cancelled.
2020-2021 JLHR President