Every year, the Junior of League of Hampton Roads mentors the New Member class as they learn about the League, develop new skills, and create new friendships. Read on to learn about the 2018-2019 class!
Back Row (Left to Right): Samantha Castagna, Jenny Bakos, Jasmine Brown, Katherine Simpson, Kristin Schafer, Brittany Grimmett, Carolyn Pittman
Front Row (Left to Right): Amanda Wright, Mary Willoughby Romm, Autumn Marshall, Brittany Fisher, Emily Longenecker
Not Pictured: Amanda Rose
New Member Course
Every month, our new members met with New Member chair Ryan Sykes to learn more about what it means to be a Junior League member and identify how they can use their individual strengths to benefit the League. In addition, the new members got the opportunity to learn more about one another through ice breakers and to talk with current League members about how to get the most out of their time as an active member. The cohort also took time to plan their New Member project.
New Member Project
On April 20th, 2019, the New Members hosted a blood drive benefiting the American Red Cross.
- Every 2 seconds someone in America needs blood.
- The Red Cross must collect 14,000 units of blood each day.
- Blood collected by the Red Cross helps millions of patients in over 2,400 hospitals across the country.
- Each blood donation can help save up to three lives.
- It only takes about an hour to give blood.
- 80 percent of blood donations are given at blood drives hosted by organizations like ours.
The New Members were proud to announce that we had 39 blood donors! We appreciated all the support from the American Red Cross, members of the JLHR, and, of course, the donors!