The Junior League of Hampton Roads was founded in 1956 and is dedicated to promoting voluntarism and improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. The Volunteer Scholarship was established in 2018 to support the volunteer potential of our youth by awarding one or more scholarships ranging from $500-$3000+ to young women high school seniors demonstrating outstanding volunteer performance in the community.
Candidates for the Volunteer Scholarship must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a graduating, female senior, who has earned a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 and from Hampton, Newport News, York County, Poquoson, Williamsburg, James City County, Smithfield, Isle of Wight, or Gloucester (private or public) schools.
- Must enroll as a full-time student in any private or public post-secondary institution in the coming school year.
- Must be involved in a volunteer capacity in the community. Volunteer work must be separate from any that is required by student’s school.
- Must provide a list of leadership or special recognition awards (please provide a copy of any awards if available).
- Complete the application, including the Volunteer Supervisor Recommendation Form and the Personal Statement. The application must be completed in its entirety – all questions must be answered.
- Submit your application to the Junior League of Hampton Roads.
Applications must be submitted no later than Friday, April 14th, 2023 at midnight to email@example.com.
The scholarship winner must provide verification of enrollment. The scholarship award check will be made out to the institution/recipient by the JLHR.
Scholarship recipients will be notified the first week of May.