The Junior League of Hampton Roads, Inc. is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
Becoming the Junior League of Hampton Roads
The Hampton Roads Service League was founded in 1949 by thirty-six insightful and forward-thinking women. The organization was officially accepted as a Junior League by AJLI in 1956. Since that time we have been known as the Junior League of Hampton Roads!
Over the years, the Junior League of Hampton Roads and our community sponsors have partnered to:
- Donate more than $120,000 to the Foodbank of the Virginia Peninsula
- Sponsor the Touch Tank at the Virginia Living Museu
- Provide school supplies and new school clothes to 57 children though the YMCA Bright Beginnings program
- Provide 150 books per month to local families through the Health Families Partnership
- Provide 50 Bereavement Kits to children facing the death of a loved one to help them better understand their grief and loss
- Assist 58 Girls of Excellence at South Morrison Elementary School to gain the social skills and confidence they need to thrive
- Donate $7,000 to Peninsula Fine Arts Center for the Hands on for Kids gallery
- Donate 73 cribs and infant care packages to families in need
- Helped to raise awareness to reproductive cancers in women, and form a support group for those in need