The Junior League of Hampton Roads was founded in 1956 and is dedicated to promoting voluntarism and improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. The Volunteer Scholarship was established in 2018 to support the volunteer potential of our youth by awarding one or more scholarships ranging from $500-$3000+ to young women high school seniors demonstrating outstanding volunteer performance in the community.
Candidates for the Volunteer Scholarship must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a graduating, female senior, who has earned a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 and from Hampton, Newport News, York County, Poquoson, Williamsburg, James City County, Smithfield, Isle of Wight, or Gloucester (private or public) schools.
- Must enroll as a full-time student in any private or public post-secondary institution in the coming school year.
- Must be involved in a volunteer capacity in the community. Volunteer work must be separate from any that is required by student’s school.
- Using the links provided, download and complete the application including the Volunteer Experience Log and questions; Volunteer Supervisor Recommendation Form; and Teacher or Mentor Recommendation Form. The application must be completed in its entirety – all questions must be answered.
- Submit your application to the Junior League of Hampton Roads via email or mail to our headquarters office as noted on the application. Applications must be submitted no later than April 18th, 2021 at midnight to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The scholarship winner must provide verification of enrollment. The scholarship award check will be made out to the institution/recipient by the JLHR.
- Scholarship recipients will be notified the second week of May.